RECIPES: Two today: Blackberry Lavender Tart and Watermelon Feta Salad
The fire. Was really small. In the oven. Ken’s oven. Ken’s BRAND NEW oven. I was baking a blackberry lemon tart and used his tart pan, which has one of those removable bottoms. I asked whether the pan might leak in the oven. Um, ya.
Nothing like small flames to christen an appliance. Sorry Ken. I may be banned from his kitchen soon. But the mess cleaned off alright–it being a new oven and all–and we tried baking the tart again. (This time, atop another pan.) No flames! But let’s back up. So Ken and I found MORE blackberries over the weekend. I wore proper shoes this time.
We also stopped by and picked some of these beauties at a local farm:
And we topped off the evening meeting my folks and some friends at the drive-in. Oh yes. We brought that awesome corn salad and sliced up the (above) peaches for dessert. Yippee!
Anyhow, at one of the farms we found a berry tart recipe and so I gave it a whirl for a BBQ the following night. The best part? Lavender. Luckily, Ken grows that, too.
I plucked some dried lavender and made a simple tart with berries, lemon and lavender. Even baked twice, it’s still pretty, right?
Also featured at the BBQ? An easy stand-by I’ve made on many occasion: watermelon feta salad. It’s ideal for hot summer evenings: sweet and savory. Thumbs up.
Add honey/pepper/shallots/orange dressing and spicy greens from Ken’s garden.
Rating: Food-prep fear level? 3 of 5. Food rating? 4 of 5 … glasses of white wine, which I downed quickly at the BBQ after cooking all afternoon. Cheers.
|Blackberry lemon tart with lavender|
- Juice of two lemons, and the the rind, grated
- 2 tsp dried lavender
- 1/4 C melted butter
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 5 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/3 C sugar
- 2 C blackberries
- 1 1/2 C flour (I used half white, half wheat. Would probably do all wheat next time)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp lavender
- 1/2 C cold butter
- 2 Tbsp cold water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- For the crust: Combine the dry ingredients, cut in the butter, and mix until powdery. Slowly add water. Pat into tart pan (make sure it won’t leak like mine!) and bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees. Remove from oven.
- For the filling: Whisk the lemon, melted butter and grated lemon rind in a medium bowl. Add beaten eggs, sugar and lavender.
- Pour berries into the baked tart crust.
- Pour filling over the berries and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool. Enjoy!
Inspired by www.thepumpkinpatch.com
|Watermelon feta salad||
- One watermelon, sliced and cubed
- 12 oz feta cheese (or more if you’d like!)
- 4 C fresh salad greens of your choice, washed and dried
- Juice of one lemon
- Juice of one orange
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Combine the cubed watermelon, feta and greens.
- For the dressing, whisk the lemon, orange, honey, shallots, salt and pepper. Add the olive oil slowly, whisking constantly.
- Add the dressing to the salad and toss. Chill, covered, before serving.
Dressing from Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa