RECIPE: Taco Salad with Tomato Lime Dressing
WHEW. It’s been a wacky summer. I unwisely scheduled three fairly lengthy trips all within a month. I knew it was going to be nutty when I agreed to all of them, but I didn’t realize what havoc it would wreak on my sleeping and eating schedule. I’m kind of a mess.
That said, this week is an in-betweener. I’m back from NYC last week and we don’t leave for my sister-in-law’s wedding in Portland until late next week. So I’m kind of enjoying catching up on laundry and cooking family dinner every night (who thought those words would ever come out of my mouth?).
Last night’s meal was perfect for what I needed this week. It was super fast, easy and hearty without being heavy.
That said, I did make a couple of changes to the original recipe I think are key to last night’s success, if I do say so myself. For one, I added two tablespoons of Champagne vinegar and half a diced red onion to the dressing. The vinegar added some sweet and tangy and I firmly believe no taco salad is complete without some red onion. I also upped the salt in the dressing, because I’m a salty gal.
Lastly, instead of regular boring ‘baked corn tortilla chips’ on top, I used Chili Cheese Fritos. Because HELLO, CCFs are possibly the most delicious food and if there’s an opportunity to substitute them in, I DO. When I die I want to be buried with a fresh bag of CCFs, just in case I’m not actually dead and I get hungry down there waiting for someone to dig me up. That’s not too much to ask, right?
Jason added ranch dressing and Sriracha to his salad. It’s possible I finished the bag of leftover Chili Cheese Fritos this morning for breakfast. The point is, everyone was happy. Next time I might throw on some pickled jalapenos to finish it up.
Wouldn’t I make a great spokesperson? You should probably make an advertising deal with Wine and a Spoon and pay us lots of money*.
Your biggest fan
*Just kidding. I love CCFs so much I’ll do it for free.
|Taco Salad with Tomato Lime Dressing|
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 3 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/2 cup water
- three medium tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 a red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Champagne (or red wine) vinegar
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 bags of romaine lettuce
- 1/2 a cup grated cheddar
- 1 large bag of Chili Cheese Fritos
- Mix together tomatoes, red onion, olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet. If you got meat with a higher fat content, drain off the excess fat.
- Add in garlic and black beans. Simmer 2 minutes.
- Add in chili powder, cayenne and water to ground beef. Simmer until water is absorbed.
- Arrange lettuce, top with meat mixture, cheese, tomato dressing and finally a healthy serving of chili cheese fritos (or regular corn chips if you lead a sad, boring life).