RECIPE: Spicy Asian Chicken and Noodle Soup
So yeah… I missed last week. And I think I missed 2 weeks ago too. That’s just not like me. I think before that I missed maybe 1 week in the whole time we’ve been keeping up this blog. I’m suffering a tad from the seasonal blahs I think. Do you read Dooce? She talks about how September is just a bad month for people. Do you feel that way at all? This September seems a tad harder for some reason. It’s the time of year I’m missing my mom a lot, I’ve been having a rough time at work, and we’re still adjusting to our new life with Ryan as a student.
Compounding this problem is the fact that it’s SO DAMN HOT IN ARIZONA. I mean, seriously. It’s technically autumn and it was 103 today. Arizonans deal with this one of two ways: 1) Get depressed and 2) PRETEND that the weather has ‘changed’ and is gorgoues outside. I am not kidding you, no fewer than 5 people told me this week how happy they were that the weather finally changed. SERIOUSLY?! Are they trying to change the weather by sheer will? Like how if you clap enough and BELIEVE, the fairy will live? People, it’s HOT OUTSIDE.
I’m choosing to combat the double-wammy of September blahs and Arizona never-f’ing-ending-heat by hiding indoors, cranking up the a/c, and pretending it’s cold enough outside to enjoy soup. You better believe I put on some long comfy pants and socks too. Might as well complete the whole illusion.
This soup was… ok. But it has potential! The whole thing took a whopping 7 minutes from start to finish, including the dreaded chopping. That, combined with the fact that it’s very healthy, is enough to convince me to give it another try. Another added bonus is the fact that the “rice sticks” take only 3 minutes to cook, and if you’ve got leftover soup, you can just microwave up the soup with dry broken “rice sticks” in there for 4 minutes and it’s DONE. I’m convinced all this needs is some shitake mushrooms to make it just right. What else can you think to add?
Here’s hoping you’re all getting through September in one piece. Thank goodness the weather will finally change soon. Right? Please?
|Spicy Asian Chicken and Noodle Soup|
- 3 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups pre-cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup grated carrot (about 1 medium) (I sliced mine)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced snow peas
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha
- 2 teaspoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 (2-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger
- 6 cups water
- 3 ounces uncooked wide rice sticks (rice-flour noodles)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Bring first 9 ingredients (through ginger) to a simmer in a medium saucepan; keep warm.
- Bring 6 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add rice noodles; cook 3 minutes. Drain. Place about 1/4 cup rice noodles in each of 4 bowls.
- Discard ginger. Add juice to broth mixture; stir. Ladle 1 1/3 cups broth mixture over each serving; top with 1 tablespoon each mint, cilantro, and green onions.
This needs something… maybe shitake mushrooms. If you have leftover broth, re-heat it in the microwave for about 4 minutes with the dried rice sticks thrown right in. Perfect!