RECIPE: Curried Lentils and Potatoes
If you’re looking to eat mashed potatoes and lentils mixed together with some carrots, then this recipe is for you. If you want to make something slightly less disastery, then you should move on. Or maybe you like fixing disasters and you can help me make this into an actual delicious meal.
I made this recipe about three months ago and decided it was too disastery to write about, but in a week where I just don’t want to cook, this recipe will have to do. Now, months later, I can’t for the life of me remember where I got the recipe from. I’ve searched through all my email accounts and my web history on both my home and work computer, but no dice. I remember getting an email with the recipe and thinking “Oh, that sounds delicious! I love potatoes AND lentils AND curry. I’m making this tonight! Life is awesome!”
But it wasn’t awesome. The original recipe said to cook the lentils and potatoes together for about 40 minutes, which I thought was weird, but I do my best to follow recipes exactly the first time I make something. So, even though I sort of knew I was going to be eating mashed potatoes that night for dinner, I tried it anyway.
I changed a few things from the original recipe. I added carrots, because I need vegetables in every meal, and instead of cooking everything in water, I used chicken stock. Obviously you could also use vegetable stock to make it vegetarian.
|Curried Lentils and Potatoes|
- 1 bag lentils
- 1-2 potatoes, diced in 1/2 in cubes
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- Curry powder, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the lentils, onions, carrots, and 3 cups of stock to a large pot, bring to a boil, and then down to a simmer. Cook until the lentils are done, about 20-30 minutes.
- Add the last cup of stock and the potatoes, let cook until done, about 10 minutes.
- Add the curry powder when everything is done cooking.