RECIPE: Spaghetti and Meatballs
A dinnertime haiku -
Cope with picky kids
With lots of wine and ear plugs
Or just serve meatballs.
|Spaghetti and Meatballs|
Recipe type: Dinner
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 1 hour
- 1 lb of ground pork
- 1/2 lb of Italian sausage
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup of grated parm
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large can of whole stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup of basil, chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 package of spaghetti
- shredded parm to top
- salt to taste
- Mix meat, egg, bread crumbs, grated parm and three cloves of minced garlic.
- Form mixture into small to medium balls.
- Heat 2 tblspoons of oil to medium high. Brown meatballs on all sides in two batches (adding more oil for the second batch). Remove meatballs from the pan and set aside.
- Rinse out pan and reheat 1 tblspn of oil on medium. Add onion and saute until onion is soft. Add remaining garlic and cook another minute.
- Add can of tomatoes (with sauce) to pan. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the meatballs back into the pan with the tomatoes, onion and garlic. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the top and stir the meatballs to coat and break up the whole tomatoes with a spoon. Stir in basil.
- Simmer another five minutes, uncovered. Add salt to taste.
- Boil water and cook spaghetti according to package.
- Serve spaghetti topped with tomatoes and meatballs. Top with shredded parm.