This is one of my easy go-to weeknight recipes. It’s not the most complex in flavors, but it’s healthy and the kids will eat it. I like it with a lot of salt.
I made it the other night while Ben practiced his clarinet (which is less honking and squeaky than it was 8 months ago), Gray played legos, Jonas napped on the couch and I listened to the latest Stephen King book on my iPod.
|Lemon Chicken with Aparagus and Red Pepper|
- 1.5 pounds of chicken, cut into small pieces
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 bunches of asparagus, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 lemon
- 4 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1.5 cups of chicken broth
- 2 cups of cooked white rice
- vegetable oil
- Saute the chicken in batches on high in vegetable oil until just browned and cooked through.
- Turn off the heat and let the pan cool. Add another tablespoon of oil and heat pan to medium. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add diced red pepper and cook 2 more minutes.
- Add asparagus, broth, juice of the lemon and zest of the lemon to the pan. Cover and cook 3 more minutes.
- Stir in chicken and cook uncovered 5 minutes.
- Serve chicken and veggies over the cooked rice.