RECIPE: Eggplant and Portobello Mushroom Melt
This is one of those times where I wish you couldn’t get in trouble for talking about work on the internet. I love where I work. I love my company. Just.. this week and last are enough to send me home to cry in a bottle of wine. It’s just one customer who’s only here occasionally, so I’m pretty sure I’ll survive. But STILL. Working really long days and today is a day I’ve been dreading for months because I know, no matter how hard I’ve worked, I’m going to get yelled at. Because of cultural stuff I’m trying hard to understand. *sigh*
Point being, I have barely had enough energy to open that bottle of wine at night, let alone make a fancy dinner. Ryan’s been stepping up in big way with his prowess in the kitchen. Of which he has much. Many? I dunno. (see: drinking wine)
The one exception is this ah-mah-zing dinner I made last week. It was super fast, super delicious, and super vegetarian (which, despite the copious amounts of cheese, I’m convinced makes it healthy). This meal was so good, Ryan’s asked for it twice since… in less than a week. The only snafu with this one was a misunderstanding regarding the availability of balsamic vinaigrette in our house. We had the balsamic, just not the vinaigrette. So I made my own, which was super easy. A little bit of veggie baking, some bread toasting (with garlic-infused olive oil brushed on) and some roasted red peppers in a jar and voila: sandwich perfection! Make it.
|Eggplant and Portobello Mushroom Melt|
- 4 portobello mushrooms (about 10 ounces)
- 4 (1/2-inch-thick) slices peeled eggplant (about 8 ounces)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette (homemade or otherwise), divided
- 1/4 cup chopped bottled roasted red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 4 (1/2-ounce) slices provolone cheese
- 4 (2-ounce) kaiser rolls, halved
- 4 Tbs olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup spinach leaves
- Preheat broiler.
- Remove stems from mushrooms; discard stems. Remove brown gills from the undersides of mushrooms using a sharp knife; discard gills. Place mushrooms and eggplant on a broiler pan; brush vegetables with 1 tablespoon vinaigrette. Broil 6 minutes. Turn vegetables over; brush with 1 tablespoon vinaigrette. Broil for an additional 5 minutes or until tender. Combine bell peppers and basil. Spoon 1 tablespoon pepper mixture over each eggplant slice. Top each mushroom with 1 cheese slice. Broil for 1 minute or until cheese melts.
- Mix olive oil and minced garlic. Brush oil evenly over the cut sides of rolls. Put under broiler until browned.
- Arrange the spinach evenly on bottom halves of rolls. Top each roll half with 1 mushroom and 1 eggplant slice; cover with roll tops.