RECIPES: BLT & Avocado Burgers and Dutch Oven Baked Beans
Happy Memorial Day! Memorial Day means a few things to me. First, it means thinking about my Grandfather, who I wrote about this day last year. Second, the last few years it’s meant trips to visit my amazing family in Florida for some time on the ocean. And third, of course, Memorial Day means the official beginning of BBQ season.
OK, now granted, it is sort of always BBQ season in Arizona. Especially in our house where we worship The Big Green Egg. But in honor of Memorial Day, Ryan and I whipped up a burger recipe to die for. With a side of baked beans, also made on the Egg!
We started with the beans, because they took an hour. Let me tell you, these beans were so evil that we started eating them straight out of the Dutch oven when it came off the Egg. Which, by the way, is not advisable. (won’t be able to taste for a week) Next time we might soak the beans to get them going before we cook them as they were a tad undercooked, but STILL, the sauce was out of this world. Evil.
Now the burgers… These are called BLT and avocado burgers, but I prefer to call them BL… T&A burgers. Because after a few beers, that is FUNNY! (and I forgot, Memorial Day is about beer too, clearly) But, it’s descriptive! This is basically a BLT on a burger plus avocado and it was AWESOME. Let me tell you, if you’re still looking for an interesting BBQ dish for today’s festivities, here’s your burger. Yum! Also… be safe out there.
The beans can be found here. We’d do less sugar next time and pre-soak the beans. The burger recipe, which you need to make today, is below. It’s a 5 out of 5.
|BLT and Avocado Burgers|
- 2 pounds ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 1 C. diced tomatoes
- 2 C. chopped bacon cooked until crisp (12-14 slices. I did mine in the microwave, don’t tell Elizabeth)
- 1/2 C. chopped scallions
- 1 C. diced avocado
- 1/2 C. mayo
- 1 Tb freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 4 poppy seed buns
- 8 Tb unsalted butter
- 4 slices Havarti cheese
- 4 leaves butter lettuce
- Form beef into 4 patties about 1 inch thick. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To make the ‘salsa’, mix the tomatoes, bacon, scallions, avocado, mayo, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
- Cut the buns inhale and brush the inside of each half with butter. Place the hamburgers on the grill. Cook for 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Top each burger with a slice of cheese, close the grill and cook for 30 seconds longer until the cheese is melted. Transfer the burgers to a plate and let them rest while you grill the buns, buttered side down, until lightly toasted.
- To assemble, place each burger inside a bun and top with a lettuce leaf. Place 2 Tb of the ‘salsa’ on top of each burger and serve.