RECIPE: Yogurt Marinated Chicken with Watermelon Salad and Asparagus
So… I may have fallen into the same trap Amanda N. did this week… it’s possible this recipe was supposed to be for dinner LAST night and that at 4:30PM I read the recipe and realized the chicken was supposed to marinate in the yogurt sauce for 8 hours before cooking.
So last night we had pork chops and corn and TONIGHT we had the fantastic chicken marinated in garlicy yogurt with a tomato-basil-watermelon salad and asparagus.
I started this meal and about halfway through I realized what I was making was a GODDAMN MASTERPIECE and also that not a single one of my family members would appreciate it. Tomatoes mixed with watermelon and topped with basil? Hell no.
But I was pretty wrong. All three of the kids ate every bite on their plate. Huh. Maybe they are developing palates after all. Or maybe watermelon just wins out over everything. Whatever. I’ll take it.
Make this. It’s amazing. (And beautiful, which accounts for at least 50% of the meal. You know it’s true.)
|Yogurt Marinated Chicken with Watermelon Salad and Asaparagus|
- 2 cups 2% plain greek yogurt
- 12 cloves of garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- 1 small seedless watermelon
- 4 roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup basil, chopped
- 1 pound asparagus
- Mix yogurt, 8 cloves of minced garlic, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and 3/4 teaspoon of pepper. Set aside 1/2 cup of yogurt mixture. Put rest of yogurt in a large plastic ziplock and add chicken breasts. Refrigerate for more than 8 hours.
- Preheat grill and oven to 450 degrees.
- Snap off the bottom of the asparagus. Mix one tablespoon of olive oil and 2 cloves of minced garlic in a small bowl and toss with asparagus. Spread asparagus on a cookie sheet and top with salt. Bake for 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- Cut watermelon into triangles. Slice tomatoes. Arrange on a platter. Sprinkle basil on top. Whisk 3 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar. Drizzle over salad. Top with salt and pepper.
- Grill chicken 10 mins on each side or until cooked through. Slice and serve with reserved yogurt sauce.