By day I am a pocket protector wearing, thick black-rimmed eye glasses kinda gal…OK not really, but I am an aerospace engineer who works on all sorts of top secrety things I can’t tell you about because I would have to kill you. But don’t worry, I’ve only ever killed 3 people. Two if you don’t count that guy in my office who constantly does that teeth sucking thing, because he clearly deserved it. Being an engineer is a blessing and a curse when it comes to the kitchen. I love orderly instructions and the science behind combining ingredients to create amazing meals. The curse, however, is a fear of stepping out of that recipe comfort zone and trusting my gut when a recipe just feels wrong.
My husband’s kind of OK, I guess. If you like six foot, blonde, muscular firefighters. We’re less ‘human offspring’ people and more ‘children who bark and lick our faces’ people. Don’t worry, though, we don’t hate your small people. We’re just glad they’re your small people. Being a firefighter wife is no easy task, I am home alone a lot and find myself reheating leftovers or throwing together yet another burrito. We travel a lot and use that as a great excuse to try food (and drinks!) from around the world. I’m lucky because he loves good food as much as I do, and he cooks as much as I do too!
- I have a portrait photography business. I spend a lot of time taking pictures of wonderful families and super cute, pudgy babies. (shameless plug: www.nemecphotos.com)
- I sometimes cook with a spoon in one hand and a good book in the other (which I have to put down often to pick up my wine).
- My husband and I still celebrate Thursday Night Drinking Night, just like we did in college. Sometimes we celebrate TNDN on Friday and Saturday too; but we don’t go to meetings so we don’t have a problem.
- I need something chocolate after a meal to feel like I’m actually finished so I keep a bag of Dove chocolates in the freezer.
- The only foods I hate are beets and sherbet (which I totally thought was spelled “sherbert” until I just typed that).
- I don’t like coffee and I only drink hot water during the day.
Food Likes: pizza, Mexican, cheese (stinkier the better), bread, risotto, avocado, artichoke, pine nuts, hummus, chocolate, homemade baked goods, black olives, comfort food, garlicky stuff, cumin (my favorite spice!), sweet potato fries, fancy sandwiches
Food not-so-likes: beets, sherbet, over-cooked salmon, coffee, over-cooked eggs